Tuesday

Dark Horse Books (Vera and Amber)

IMG_2626
"Psychic reading today"
I'd passed the sign on Johnson street for a thousand times but I never actually went inside.
When I finally decided to check out this long standing mystery, expecting voodoo dolls and crystal balls, I realized the store was actually a book store.
-
When I started a brief chat with the owners Vera and Amber, I was surprised how they were getting along so well. Seeing them talk was like watching a ping pong championship match. They must have been working together for a very long time, I thought. It made sense that they turned out to be a mother and a daughter.
Born and raised in Victoria, the native Victorians carefully bring and mix metaphysics with hip and hippie Victoria-West cost counter culture.
I found Vera and Amber value local culture a lot. One corner is full of locally crafted or printed materials.
Among hand made post cards and zines, I found locally made schedule books. They looked very fun to carry around for a year.







How the store started was nothing but making their dreams come true.
Vera and Amber always wanted to have a  metaphysical book store that is different from others in town. When they saw Dark Horse Books was for sale, they knew they found a great place to start with; because the bookstore had been always known for having a good selection of metaphysical books.

Now they have added many items over the year including over 200 decks of tarot cards.
-


 Also on the counter, you can see many dried plans.
"This is for smudging" Amber told me.
I had no idea what it was all about but she showed me s a book talking about smudging displayed right next to dried sage.

I felt I could let my spirituality take its journey starting from this store.
 The store also is a hub of subculture in Victoria.
You can see many posters around the store for concert. I was surprised to hear that the store full of books
turns into a concert venue. If you are a local artist looking for a place to find open minded audience, this is the place to be.


The Store 


 The store is full of mysterious things.
I found a few coats hanging on the wall in the back of the store. "They are locally made capes" Amber explained to me. Capes? And there is someone in town professionally making capes to sell? I learned something new about Victoria.
-

The store is full of personality and reflects unique taste of Vera and Amber.
Taking bookends for example, you find so many them in different shapes and sizes.




I strolled through book shelves. One category on the shelf says "COOL."
"These are my brother-in-law's selection" Amber said.

Even the store carries many mysterious things, the store gives very laid back, family owned feeling.
I recommend to just go check out the store. I bet you will find at least one new about Victoria.

Dark Horse Books:
http://www.darkhorsebooks.ca

Monday - Saturday:  10am - 6pm
Sunday 11:00am-6:00pm

623 Johnson Street, Victoria, BC V8W 1M5

(250) 386-8736

No comments:

Post a Comment